Sunday, November 10, 2019

Happy 90th Drees!


It's a very special weekend in Olympia - my hometown! Beloved Drees is celebrating 90 years as a retailer in downtown Olympia. A huge milestone for any business much less an independent retailer. Congratulations Drees! 

Drees has always been a special destination in downtown Olympia for exquisite gifts and an unmatched shopping experience; even more so now in the age of one-click shopping. 

Before I go any further, to set the stage, here is a little about Drees from their website:

Welcome to Drees
We are committed to creating shopping experiences that enhance your home and life. We believe Drees offers more than great products; we create traditions, nurture relationships, enhance homes, and provide a respite from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Our unique product assortment includes exquisite gifts, home furnishings, decorative accessories, fine stationery and season décor, all chosen with great care and a focus on quality and great design.

"We take great care to select high quality items that will stand the test of time. I have always wanted people to love and keep the things they buy at Drees for a long time, like friends," says Drees owner of 43 years, Ruthann Goularte.


Learn more about Drees here


Browspitality
An evocative term coined by Drees combining "browse" and "hospitality," shopping at Drees is relaxing and inspiring as you discover new, beautiful things around every corner. It's like being in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory or your favorite art gallery. The products are beautiful and unique and the merchandising is exquisite and pleasing to your every sense. 

Celebrating 90 Years
I attended Drees' 90th anniversary celebration on Thursday night. Leading up to the event I reflected on what Drees means to me and how it's impacted my life. As you'll see in the reflections below, Drees has had a huge impact on my life.

AT DREES

I grew up AT DREES.

My earliest memories of Drees:
at the shop on 5th Ave,
I ate lemon bars dusted with lots of powdered sugar
my mom drank coffee
nutcrackers – lots of nutcrackers!

Later on Washington Street:
Holiday open houses
My first job
Baking brownies after school
A barista at the espresso bar – before Starbucks!
Mrs. Herring (a favorite regular)
Mary Gates (bought gifts for Bill's executive team)
Assembling special Christmas boxes 
for special customers (lots of work!)
Unpacking boxes of merchandise
Pricing products in the backroom with the 
manual pricing machine (old school!)
Packing popcorn everywhere – boxes stacked high 
to the ceilings during the holidays
Watering plants outside 
(in my cute school clothes – usually in flats!!)
Breaking boxes down and taking them to the 
(scary) garbage room in the alley.
I fell in love with Haviland Imperatrice Eugenie in high school -
my wedding china. I STILL love it!
My wedding registry – the best gifts are always from Drees!
And those beautiful handblown wine goblets with 
a pink flower. I bought one with each pay check!
Colleagues Gwen, M.J., Lisa and Ruthann of course!
Lessons learned from Ruthann's parents 
Madge and Anton (a few tears too.)
Pretty gift wrap and perfect bows.
Quality, quality, quality.
Wish lists and special orders 
handwritten on index cards.
Browspitality… 
Drees aprons – a classic!
Sequined nametags for staff (after me!)
The Scent of Spring potpourri 
wafting through the shop signaling a new season.
Best greeting cards – 
Madge’s domain when I worked there! 
Personalized stationery
Black shop cat – Espresso…
Then shop dogs…
The soundtrack of Drees: Louis Armstrong

Ruthann:
The wise one. Merchant extraordinaire. Impeccable eye. Pisces.
My first boss. 
My mentor.
My friend.
My first client for Fleurish Partners

Fast forward:
Drees' website was born in 2011…
Social media too!
We had fun bringing Drees into the 21st century!

Now:
It’s time to celebrate 90 years of browspitality 
in Downtown Olympia!
1929-2019

Cheers to many, many more! 

With love and gratitude,

Amy Hermes Anderson
November 7, 2019

Cheers to my first boss, mentor, client and friend, Ruthann Goularte who 
has owned and stewarded Drees for 43 years.

Holiday Magic
Drees is magical year round but it especially sparkles and shines during the holidays. Here are a few photos of the shop right now. Hoping they might inspire you to make a trip to Drees to experience the one-of-a-kind magic for yourself!  
























No comments:

Post a Comment