Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Re-charged. Re-entry. Re-ality.

 
Re-charged.
 
We are just back from a wonderful week in "the desert" for Spring Break. 
 
It was JUST what we needed after the long, cold, and wettest winter on record in Seattle. We stayed at the Rancho Las Palmas resort in Rancho Mirage and almost didn't need to leave except to see some good friends from Seattle. The resort was very family-friendly and provided just what we needed to unwind and re-charge. I am so grateful for this family time and can't wait to go back.
 
We spent hours in the lazy river and on the water slides - a huge hit for all of us. 

 

We exercised together - which was awesome!
 
 
 
We read a lot!


We played with friends. We planned a surprise play date for Sofia and one of her BFs, Ava. Their shock and excitement were priceless.
 

We hiked with friends!
 

We hung out at this swanky pad where our friends were staying. See pics here. Amazing!



We relaxed.





Thank you, Palm Springs. Until next time!

Re-entry.

Re-entry is never easy. The emails, the laundry, grocery shopping, meal planning and prep, 6 a.m. alarms, homework... LIFE. I'm still digging out.

Upon re-entry on Sunday, life hit me hard. First with this this blog about the prognosis of a little girl with Leukemia who I know through Obliteride. No words....

Then more heartbreaking news about a mom of young children and communications professional who I also met through Obliteride. She lost her battle on Sunday night. Heartbreaking.... Again, no words.

Then my client at Obliteride asked me to review this blog post she wrote about her encounters over Spring Break that re-ignited her passion and urgency to help raise as much as we can to help cure cancer faster. 

Of course this all makes me think of my friend Scott - I will always ride for Scott.

Re-ality.

Re-ality sets in quickly.

Life - and death - hit me hard upon re-entry and have inspired me to work harder, play harder, pray harder, ride harder, love harder, hug harder.

On vacation, I read a great book: The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results. In a nutshell, it urges us to simplify and focus on what matters most by asking yourself ONE important question:

"What's the ONE thing I can do today such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?"
  
On Monday, my ONE thing was to go for a bike ride. I rode hard and fast for Abby (the mom mentioned above).

On Tuesday, my ONE thing was to meditate. If you're looking for a great guided meditation, I highly recommend this Loving Kindness meditation.                             

Today, my ONE thing is to publish this blog post.

Of course, I'm not just doing ONE thing every day. I still have work, family, life. But by prioritizing my ONE most important thing, I'm feeling more grounded and focused.

Orange = HOPE!

I want to leave you on a positive note with this beautiful orange poppy I saw on my walk this morning.

Please consider making a donation to my Obliteride this August to help further cures at Fred Hutch. They can't happen fast enough. We are losing best friends, children, and young mothers to this horrid disease.


Thanks for reading friends.

xoxo,

Amy

5 comments:

  1. Life--such a swing of emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing Amy!
    Loved this part:
    Life - and death - hit me hard upon re-entry and have inspired me to work harder, play harder, pray harder, ride harder, love harder, hug harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're amazing Amy!
    Loved this part:
    Life - and death - hit me hard upon re-entry and have inspired me to work harder, play harder, pray harder, ride harder, love harder, hug harder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful reflection. Your inspiration is life giving! Keep living hard, playing hard and writing hard. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just did the meditation, thank you, going to share on my business page. Namaste.

    ReplyDelete