Monday, July 18, 2016

A Love Letter to Tahoe



In the summer of 1992, Geoff invited me to Lake Tahoe for what would become known as our “5-day date.” We had only been dating a few weeks and my mom was shocked that I accepted the invitation. I found an airplane ticket for around $120 RT (my whole savings!) and I booked my trip. Little did I know at the time that I was falling in love with my future husband, and my love affair with Lake Tahoe was beginning as well.

Five years later, we were married on the edge of this glorious lake. We printed this quote in our save the date card for our wedding.



"It's where the water is clearer than the air
and the air is the air that angels breath."
- Mark Twain about Lake Tahoe



Today as I reflect on my 24-year relationship with Tahoe aka my “happy place” and our vacation there a couple of weeks ago, I can’t stop thinking about its gleaming turquoise waters, bird blue sky and emerald green forests. It’s truly a feast for the eyes and it hits all senses. As I was biking, hiking, swimming and just being, I kept thinking “I can’t get enough of this place.”

Then I read this quote in the Squaw Valley magazine and I realized, I need this beauty like I need food.






IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL

On one of my solo hikes in Tahoe the old church hymn It Is Well With My Soul was running through my head. I found this beautiful version on YouTube. It made me cry it's so beautiful! Have a listen.


I’d like to thank my in-laws for generously sharing their place with us and for keeping the lights on and the bears out – hopefully! We are so grateful that Sofia gets to grow up in this glorious playground.



Tahoe – I love you! You feed my soul.

Where is your happy place? Leave a comment below and let me know!

xoxo,
Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment