Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Appreciating Differences

 

We are all different. That I know for sure.

Different strengths, weaknesses, interests, hopes, desires, comfort levels.

This point was made very clear to me yesterday at a "team building" activity I participated in.

I was terrified - and had several excuses for not going: my back and knee issues; it was cold and I didn't want to get sick; it was raining. 

But I showed up. And I tried it. I did not like it. But I learned a lot. And maybe that's really the point. Not everything is fun for everyone. But learning through difficult situations is awesome. At least, I think so!

The activity was a high ropes challenge course. I'm afraid of heights - although that actually ended up being the least of my concerns. In the end the height didn't really bother me. It was more the instability I felt on the course, concerns about my back, and the insecurities I felt about not being very good at the activity and not having fun.

Everyone else was having fun. So why wasn't I? (I'm holding on for dear life in the picture above.) Even my husband and 6-year-old daughter exclaimed the course looked like SO much fun to them.

My key take-away from the day was that for a team to thrive, we need to appreciate each others differences. Honor our strengths and try not to focus on our weaknesses, or improve where we can. After I spent about a half-hour on the course, I did the zip line (which I liked a lot) and then designated myself the zip line assistant. So I had a role, but it was on the ground!

In the end, I was glad I "showed up" and I have a better appreciation for each person's different talents. For as a colleague of mine proclaimed yesterday, the definition of team really is Together Everyone Achieves More.

Here are a few more pictures to give you a flavor of the day.
 
 
 
 

Daredevil!


These guys look excited!
 




 
Here we go!



What do you think? Is this up your alley?

What have you done recently that took you out of your comfort zone?

1 comment:

  1. Great post Amy! I am actually the kind of lunatic that would love to spend a day swinging round in the trees, giving myself an adrenalin buzz. As you know starting to blog really took me out of my comfort zone, although I'm feeling more comfortable with it now :)

    ReplyDelete