Friday, July 10, 2015

My Oasis


This morning I participated in part one of a three-part online series with author and self-care guru Jen Louden called The Oasis. She billed the series as "guided support for living your truest self." That intrigued me! 
 
This morning's one-hour call was a combination of guided meditations and writing prompts. I wasn't sure what I was getting into but I've followed Jen's work for a while and I felt compelled to participate. During this fun and crazy summer season when I'm trying to balance being "fun mom" with work and a different schedule every week, the notion of an Oasis really spoke to me. I leaned in and I fully participated, and as usual, when I follow my heart, I got so much out of it! 
 
It helped me think about "chunking down" my life and focusing on what I need to do to live my truest self this week. Small - yet important things that make me feel alive - like getting into nature, feeding my creativity by writing my blog more often, journaling and meditating, alone time and quality time with Geoff. 
 
It also made me think of what Oasis means to me. I wrote "my garden is my Oasis." It truly is. We recently redid our backyard and it's amazing what a positive difference it has made in my life. After living in our house for 17 years, we finally created our "Garden Oasis in the City." When we started planning our project, the mood I wanted to create was "harmony" - a respite from the stresses of life, a place to chill, a place to connect, an Oasis. 
 
We included all of my favorite plants in our Oasis - lots of hydrangeas, lavender, jasmine, boxwood and gardenia. 

 
In one of my very first blog posts, I wrote about wabi sabi - the Japanese philosophy that celebrates beauty in what's natural and imperfect. I think of it every time my eye is drawn to the only hot pink flowers in my garden, amidst the harmonious greens, whites, soft pinks and blues. It was obviously an accident, but I love it!


I also love these gorgeous blooms.

 
 
This sweet gardenia right outside my kitchen door greets me with its intoxicating scent every time I enter my Oasis. 
 
 
This is the bluest hydrangea I have ever seen. Recently Sofia asked me if it was really that blue. Indeed it is and it's amazing!
 

I've spent endless hours watering my Oasis during Seattle's heat wave. I feel like a new mom trying to provide sustenance for my newborn baby. It feels good to tend to my garden - to watch my garden grow and flourish, to be in my Oasis. 


I love to listen to the calming sounds of the fountain as it blocks out the city noise.

 
 
We've enjoyed countless evenings eating dinner, reading, playing games and relaxing on our new patio. It's added a whole new room to our house - and created more harmony within our family. For that, I am very grateful.


Sofia is enjoying our new Garden Oasis too.

 
 
Where is your Oasis?

2 comments: