Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Kick-Ass Red Lips

“Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. 
That, or a kick-ass red lipstick.” ― Gwyneth Paltrow



One of my go-to accessories is lipstick; usually in a bold red color. If all else fails I put on lipstick!

I am not kidding when I say that about once a week someone asks me about my lip color. Several people have urged me to share my lipstick "secrets" here. So, today I'm doing just that.

It's pretty simple. I find great colors that I love. From high-end brands to drugstore brands. My current favorites are below.



Smashbox Mandarin (Photo: Sephora)




Revlon Fire & Ice (Photo: Drugstore.com)




NYX Eros (Photo: NYX Cosmetics)




Aveda Cana (Photo: BellaChique)


It's almost comical how similar these look, but they all make me feel different and are appropriate for different occasions.

You definitely need to try them on and see which colors you feel great in. Reds can go cool (with blue undertones) or warm (with yellow undertones) that turn them towards orange-red. If you can't try the color on your lips, at least try them on the back of your hand to see how they look with your skin tone. 





I read in Bazaar this weekend that amethyst, emerald and topaz lips are the new trend. I'm not sure if I could pull them off. I think I'll stick to my signature reds. How about you?!




Just remember: 


"The best color in the whole world is the one that looks good on you!"  ― Coco Chanel


2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more!! A nice shade of red lipstick can instantly lighten up your face. My personal go to lipstick is Spice it up by Mac. Check it out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote at the end! Never could do red lips myself - just not my colour. Love Aveda lipstick on account of the great ingredients. It's the only one I don't mind eating :)

    ReplyDelete