Friday, June 21, 2013

Cheers to Summer 2013


Happy summer friends! Today is the summer solstice, marking the official first day of the season and the longest day of the year. Yay! Around the world people celebrate the beginning of summer in a variety of ways. As you know, I love celebrations so I couldn't miss this one, especially since it signals (hopefully) that better weather is ahead.

A couple of weeks ago, on a beautiful warm evening, my mom and I did an early toast to summer 2013 at a lovely little neighborhood wine bar. We sat outside and enjoyed rosé perfectly paired with charcuterie (local artisan cheeses and cured meats).


They take their pairings seriously at Bottlehouse and customize them for each person based on their wine selection. The wine and cheese experts at Bottlehouse also love to share, in great detail, the flavors and notes in the wine and why they pair so well with the cheese and meats they selected. It was a lovely experience. I felt like I was transported to France for the night.



I couldn't resist taking home one of my favorite bottles of French rose, AIX. It reminds me of our trip to Provence in the summer of 2003.


 


We planned our trip to France in July to see the lavender in full bloom right before harvest.


We brought back some brightly-colored French linens from the market. As soon as the weather gets better, we'll be dining al fresco ala Provence!


Next week I will share more colors of Provence with you. Until then, cheers to summer solstice!

No comments:

Post a Comment