Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Inspiration is Everywhere


I'm not typically a do-it-yourselfer! That might surprise some of you because I do love artsy, crafty, colorful, beautiful, handmade things. But I'm too much of a perfectionist so I usually rely on "experts" to make these items. But when I inquired about the beautiful glassybaby window display in their University Village shop a couple of weeks ago, I was intrigued by the inspiration behind it.


The saleswoman went behind the desk and pulled out this melted crayon art and told me that the woman who does their window displays used it for inspiration. I was further intrigued, because I have seen this "art" floating around Pinterest for awhile now. It was one of the original pins on my "For the Love of Color" Pinterest board. I realized that inspiration is everywhere! And I thought it would be a fun project for Sofia and me to try, and to match up our glassybaby collection accordingly. I found this blog, with "instructions" and we tried it out yesterday.



We started with a box of 64 Crayola crayons! Sofia arranged them in a slightly different color scheme than the original version...


A key step that was missing from the instructional blog was gluing the crayons to the poster board, so I'm including this important step here.


We let them dry for a couple of hours to ensure they stayed in place.



With the crayons secured in place, we are ready to... (does Sofia look excited? Boy, was she!)


Get out the hair dryer, turn it on high and let the melting begin! It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be and the colors ended up splattering more than I expected, but we kept at it and watched the colors melt, splatter, stream, and blend.



It ended up being more of an science experiment and a letting go process for me (remember, I am a perfectionist!). I had a moment where I thought, "this is really art!" It is free-form unpredictable. It didn't turn out how I expected but it was really fun and Sofia was thrilled!



Sofia took these pictures, which in themselves are art!


She loved smearing the melted crayons around!



And the final step was matching our glassybaby colors, just like the original! What do you think?!

Thank you, once again, glassybaby for the colorful inspiration!

Where do you get your inspiration?

No comments:

Post a Comment