Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ballet Pink*


I am a huge fan of ballet. It incorporates beauty, grace, discipline, poise, theater, pretty costumes, and classical music, and it is so very feminine, at least classical ballet - the kind I prefer.

I grew up dancing from the time I was three years old through high school. I picked it up again through an adult ballet class a couple of years ago that I absolutely loved. Now Sofia is taking ballet and it is such a joy to see her enjoying it so much.

I can't imagine writing about pink without putting a spotlight on a dance technique that immediately evokes thoughts of pink.
Below are some of my favorite images that make me think that pink was invented just for ballet. Enjoy.

Pacific Northwest Ballet soloist Lindsi Dec (center) and company members dance the Waltz of the Flowers in PNB's Stowell/Sendak Nutcracker.  Photo ©  Angela Sterling.
Quite possibly my favorite ballet dance ever - the Waltz of the Flowers in the Pacific Northwest Ballet's The Nutcracker.


Designer Roberta Guidi di Bagno’s sketch for a costume for Pacific Northwest Ballet's Coppelia. (PNB photo)



Nutcracker costumes for New York City Ballet - on the rack.


Nutcracker costumes for New York City Ballet - on the stage. Gorgeous.


Degas captures a moment in time in "Ballerine in Rosa." Pink tutued ballerinas wait to take the stage in this beautiful image.


Douglas Hofmann beautifully depicts ballerinas in his paintings. My inlaws own two of his gorgeous pieces, including the one above, entitled Dancing at Dusk. I love it.


Sofia and one of her best friends since birth, Ava, after their ballet performance recently.



It's Tuesday so we are off to Sofia's ballet class. Sofia is once again decked out in pink, head to toe. My pink uniform is a long-sleeved bright pink Izod shirt. I have to say, I love it!

See you tomorrow for Sweet Treats.

Xoxo.

*This is the fourth in a series of “pink” posts. See my Feb. 3 “Smooch” post for background.

No comments:

Post a Comment