Friday, December 3, 2010

Great Gifts Doing Good.

That is a mouthful, isn't it? I originally titled this post "Good Gifts Doing Good," but after further thought I actually think they are great gifts!

It's like the mantra that some companies aspire to: doing well by doing good. Like I said, it's aspirational, but I think the intentions are good. As I think about the intentions of the gifts I give (and receive!) this holiday season, there are lots of opportunities to have a positive impact on people's lives. Below I share some of my favorite "great gifts doing good."  

A Few of my Favorite Things 


Anyone who knows me very well knows I love glassybaby, fashion icon and designer Tory Burch, and Stella and Dot jewelry. They all offer beautiful products and have a strong social responsibility commitment to doing good.
 
At glassybaby, 10% of the sale of dozens of special colors they've dubbed "goodwill" goes to a variety of non-profit organizations such as Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Conservation International and the Marsha Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer Research, to name a few. To me, glassybaby is the perfect gift.
seattle sunset
seattle sunset is a personal favorite of mine not only because I LOVE orange but because it was created in honor of a great woman who I was fortunate enough to know and be related to by marriage, Gretchen Mathers. She gave me my first two glassybabies which started my collection four years ago. 10% of the sale of seattle sunset benefits the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. 


 marsha's hope set of three (cabo, pearl, seafoam) benefits the Marsha Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer Research.



bff
10% from the sale of each bff (love the name!) is donated to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

For a look at all of the beautiful goodwill colors, go to glassybaby's website.

Tory Burch just launched a line of beautiful products that benefit the Tory Burch Foundation which is committed to providing economic opportunities to women and their families. The collection includes studded cuffs (see below), key rings, t-shirts, CD, totes, flip flops, a charm bracelet (also below) and more. I love it that they are actually products you would want and they benefit a good cause. Hence "great gifts doing good!"

TORY BURCH FOUNDATION CHARM BRACELET
Profits from this darling charm bracelet benefit the Tory Burch Foundation and microfinance partner Accion USA. I LOVE IT!
TORY BURCH FOUNDATION SILK SCARF
This silk scarf benefits the Tory Burch Foundation and Accion USA.




TORY BURCH FOUNDATION STUDDED CUFF
All profits from these Tory Burch studded cuffs benefit the Tory Burch Foundation and microfinance partner Accion USA.
 I LOVE these too, especially the oranage one, of course!


Stella & Dot is a relatively new jewelry company that is empowering women through style. I love their jewelry and their commitment to women and girls. The Stella & Dot Foundation is focused on creating positive change in women's lives through the support of organizations that promote women through education or economic empowerment. I watched a video on the Stella & Dot website today that educated me about their commitment to organizations such as Girls Inc., Accion USA (like Tory Burch) and buildOn.  If you have a minute, I encourage you to take a look at it. It really inspired me to see the ways that companies and individuals can positively contribute to the lives of women and girls in our community.


All net proceeds from these beautiful multi-colored Stella & Dot Foundation Bracelets go to Accion USA, buildOn and Girls Inc., which help create positive change for women. They come in little girls sizes too. What a beautiful way to teach the little girls in your life about helping others.


 
Wow, I just realized that what all of these products have in common is supporting women. I love that!!

I know there are many, many companies that sell "gifts for a cause," but these are definitely at the top of my list. What are your favorites?






No comments:

Post a Comment