Friday, November 19, 2010

Tea for Two.


I love tea. The ritual of it. The warmth of it. The taste of it. The history of it.

This morning my good friend and former colleague Heidi took me to tea at Queen Mary Tea Room
 to kick off my “birthday season.” Heidi loves birthdays as much as I do – possibly more. She is the one who originally coined “birthday season” – the celebrations during the week(s) before and after one’s birthday.

I mostly drink black tea – Early Grey with milk and sugar (or Creamy Early Grey as I had today), the sweet Paris blend from Harney and Sons, or Chai with milk and honey.  But yesterday during another birthday season celebration with my dear friend Liz I thoroughly enjoyed two cups of Might Leaf Green Tea Tropical, a new favorite for sure.  

Like other things I’m experiencing these days, tea slows me down. Ever since I gave up coffee about five years ago, it welcomes my mornings, provides a pick-me-up mid-day, and nurtures wonderful, long, warm conversations with friends. 

I leave you with these pictures from my tea celebration today and this quote that was scribed on a bookmark I picked up at Queen Mary:

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
– C.S. Lewis


Heidi and me enjoying our tea. And, yes, I even wore a hat!

Delicious sweet and savory treats accompanied our tea.

Queen for the day! Since we were celebrating my birthday, I got to wear a tiara.

No comments:

Post a Comment