Friday, December 6, 2019

Pantone's 2020 Color of the Year: Classic Blue!


I am so excited about Pantone's 2020 Color of the Year selection: Classic Blue!

It's not as edgy or unexpected as years' past but I believe it's just what we need right now... stable and sturdy... a salve for the craziness in our country and world! I also see blue as a unifying color (who doesn't love blue?!), which is desperately needed right now.

Color is highly correlated with emotions - it's one of the reasons I love it so much. Every color elicits an emotion whether you realize it consciously or not.

In explaining the 2020 Color of the Year selection, Pantone said Classic Blue instills "calm, confidence, and connection" and that the blue hue "highlights our desire for a dependable and stable foundation on which to build as we cross the threshold into a new era." I love that!

In our overstimulated world, stability and simplicity are just what we need!! I also love that Classic Blue encourages us to expand our thinking and challenges us to think more deeply - definitely themes in my life right now.


How the Color of the Year is Selected I know a lot of people are curious about how Pantone selects the Color of the Year. Since I trained and worked with color expert Leatrice Eiseman (who leads the Color of the Year selection process for Pantone) I have a bit of "insider information" to share with you. "As the executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, I lead a team of 10 color experts that travels the world to search out trending colors and new color influences across many industries," states Eiseman.

"
We look at the entertainment industry and films in production, traveling art collections and new artists, fashion, all areas of design, popular travel destinations, as well as new lifestyles, playstyles, and socio-economic conditions. Influences may also stem from new technologies, materials, textures, and effects that impact color, relevant social media platforms and even up-coming sporting events that capture worldwide attention. We also try to read the pulse of the public. What are people asking for? What are they saying their needs are? What are they hoping for? What are their aspirations? We try to then pick out a color that speaks to that cultural reaction to color, the collective consciousness’s reaction to color, and the psychological and emotional impact. We consolidate all of these findings and then start looking for proof points and imagery to support the selection. The process starts in the spring of the preceding year. By the end of the summer we are pretty certain of what the color will be. It’s a very exciting, collaborative and intense process!"You can learn more on the Eiseman Color Blog here.

A Few of My Favorite Things
One of my favorite things when the Color of the Year is announced is to look at the imagery and products in the hue. Here are a few of my favorites so far. This new "give" glassybaby is right on trend and I received it for my birthday last week!!
This Limited Edition Color of the Year mug would be a great addition to my collection of colorful Pantone mugs!
I always love a good journal!
See lots more great products here!

Classic Blue Travel Destinations This fun piece in Forbes explores Classic Blue travel destinations around the world. Of the destinations on their list, I've visited Jodhpur in Indian (photo below), known as the "Blue City," and Crater Lake, OR. I'm now adding the other stunning blue destinations to my travel bucket list!
I have one more very special and very blue place that Forbes missed: Lake Tahoe, of course!! Their motto is even "Keep Tahoe Blue!"
I'd love to hear your reaction to this beautiful, classic hue!

1 comment:

  1. Do you have Monero and want to sell monero for USD and finding out no best way to sell crypto? I have a amazing website where you can easily sell or exchange your monero to dollar instantly with Paypal or any other account. Just click on the given link and enjoy selling crypto coins.

    ReplyDelete