Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Georgia on my Mind

Poppy by Georgia O'Keefe


Today was another colorful day with Sofia! My dear friend Lisa - one of the most creative and visual people I know - invited us to her house for a Georgia O'Keefe Art Day. I immediately accepted the invitation not only because I knew it would be fun for Sofia but also because Georgia O'Keefe has been one of my favorite artists since was a teenager when I had several of her prints on my bedroom walls. I have always loved her colorful, feminine floral paintings and was eager to learn more about this famous American female artist.

Georgia O'Keefe, with one of her landscapes in the New Mexico desert, lived to be 98 years old.

Our Art Day began with Teacher Lisa reading the girls two books about Georgia O'Keefe's life. They learned a lot, and so did I! My biggest take-away was that Georgia did things her way, not the way everyone else did, which certainly served her well. 



Then we went on an outing to the local flower shop to let the girls pick out a bloom to paint in the Georgia O'Keefe style.



Sofia chose orange lillies....



And Ava chose pink and white Stargazer lillies.



Then we headed back to Lisa's house for lunch and to start our project which Lisa found on this great website.

We watched a YouTube video to learn more about Georgia O'Keefe's life and art.



Then we started sketching and painting. Here are some of the highlights from our Georgia O'Keefe Art Day!











The day ended with a pretend wedding ceremony that Sofia "officiated" for Ava and her kitty, followed by a musical performance by the girls which was priceless and thoroughly entertaining!






There's never a dull moment with these creative girls, who have been friends since they were three months old! We're already planning our next Art Day learning about Degas and his ballerinas.

Thanks, Lisa, for the creative and colorful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment